As the saying goes...

Was ist wichtig im Leben ist Leben, und nicht das Ergebnis des Lebens.
What is important in life is life, and not the result of life.

- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Friday, June 18, 2010

Das ist JC.

And so... I learned a lot from my German class this week. One of them was a bit shocking. It was the one about Germans not singing their national anthem and not being proud to be a German (Just to make it clear, I'm not nationalistic either). And, what's more shocking is the fact that the World Cup is an exception. Well, I won't be talking about that in this post. (I'll be talking about something a bit related to that on my next post which I'll be publishing over the weekend). What I'll be talking about in here is my (little) improvement as a German language learner.

Here's the catch: I'll be talking about myself (from a third person perspective). I'll be imitating the paragraphs in our book --- the ones on the 14th page. I know this will sound "barok" but I'll do it anyway.

"JC Tolentino ist Student an den Philippinen-Universität in Diliman. Er studiert Soziologie. Er ist in 3. Semester. Er ist 17 Jahre alt. Er wohnt in Quezon City. Er spricht Filipino, Englisch und ein bißchen Deutsch und Französisch. Er mag die Musik, die Literatur, der Sport und der Film. Skateboardfahren und Felsklettern ist seine Hobbys."

I know it sounds funny. Plus, I don't know a lot of words. I only consulted wordreference.com for help. And, still, I wasn't able to get the German translation for "are." That's why I used the word "ist" even if there are two subjects.

I guess that's it. I promise I'll do my best to improve my German-speaking skills. Haha

Guten Nacht!

By the way, happy 100th birthday, DEPARTMENT OF EUROPEAN LANGUAGES!!!

1 comment:

  1. UP would be 'Universität der Philippinen'. Nicely done! Now, why couldn't you find 'are' in your dictionary, do you think? ;)

    Gute Nacht!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts